Check out the new song from James Bay. The track is called "Running" and can be heard below. I really dig this guy.
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Monday, April 28, 2014
After 14 years, the original members of Veruca Salt have gotten back together. They released a limited edition ten-inch on Record Store Day "The Museum of Broken Relationships" & "It's Holy"/Seether"…it's been 20 years since the original release of "Seether"…that long ago?! Check out the video for "The Museum of Broken Relationships" below. The clip was directed by Gary Kordan.
And, if new music wasn't enough for you, Veruca Salt are going on tour…dates below. But, New York, if you don't already have tickets, both their show at Bowery Ballroom on July 24 and the following night, July 25, in Brooklyn at Music Hall of Williamsburg are sold out!
- 06/22 - Portland, OR - Mississippi Studios
- 06/23 - Seattle, WA - The Tractor Tavern
- 06/24 - Vancouver, BC - Biltmore Cabaret
- 06/26 - San Francisco, CA - The Independent
- 06/27 - Los Angeles, CA - The Roxy
- 07/09 - Minneapolis, MN - Varsity Theater
- 07/10 - Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall Ballroom
- 07/11 - Cincinnati, OH - Bunbury Festival
- 07/12 - Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall
- 07/13 - St. Louis, MO - Firebird
- 07/21 - Washington, DC - Black Cat
- 07/22 - Philadelphia, PA - Theatre of Living Arts
- 07/24 - New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
- 07/25 - Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg
- 07/26 - Boston, MA - Brighton Music Hall
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Phox released a video for their track "Slow Motion". The song is from their upcoming album Phox which is scheduled for release on June 24. They will also be hitting the road this summer in support of the upcoming record. Check out the Zach Johnston directed video and list of tour dates below.
- 6/24/14 Omaha, NE Waiting Room
- 6/25/14 Kansas City, MO Riot Room
- 6/27/14 Austin, TX Stubbs Jr.
- 6/28/14 Dallas, TX Three Links
- 6/30/14 Scottsdale, AZ The Western
- 7/1/14 Los Angeles, CA The Echo
- 7/3/14 San Francisco, CA The Chapel
- 7/5/14 Portland, OR Mississippi Studios
- 7/6/14 Seattle, WA The Crocodile
- 7/8/14 Salt Lake City, UT State Room
- 7/9/14 Denver, CO Hi-Dive
- 7/11/14 St. Louis, MO Duck Room
- 7/12/14 Champaign, IL Mariposa Music Festival
- 7/13/14 Nashville, TN High Watt
- 7/15/14 Birmingham, AL Bottletree
- 7/17/14 Asheville, NC Grey Eagle
- 7/18/14 Chapel Hill, NC Local 506
- 7/19/14 Washington, DC The Hamilton
- 7/21/14 Philadelphia, PA Boot & Saddle
- 7/22/14 Brooklyn, NY Knitting Factory
- 7/23/14 New York, NY Mercury Lounge
- 7/25/14 Newport, RI Newport Folk Festival
- 7/26/14 North Bennington, VT Vermont Arts Exchange
- 7/28/14 Montreal, QC Casa Del Popolo
- 7/29/14 Toronto, ON The Drake
- 7/31/14 Cleveland, OH Grog Shop
- 8/1/14 Detroit, MI Magic Stick
- 8/3/14 Green Bay, WI Meyer Theatre
- 8/4/14 Minneapolis, MN 7th Street Entry
- 8/6/14 Milwaukee, WI Turner Hall
- 8/8/14 Madison, WI High Noon
- 8/9/14 Chicago, IL Lincoln Hall
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
This week, I posed my "If I Dropped By…" question to Pravada drummer Casey Tennis. With a couple of shows coming up at The Bowery Electric on May 6 and May 13 (see below for more details and how to win a pair of tickets to see them live) and a fondness for their music…check out their album Dirty Looks, my curious mind got the best of me. So, of course, I had to make one of my hypothetical visits.
Quirky NY Chick (QNYC): ... and brought a friend who didn't know your music, what song of yours would you play for them and why?
Have plans for tonight? No? Well, now you do! Head over Union Pool and catch Revel In Dimes. See below for more details and check out the video of them performing "Last Breath" to whet your appetite.
Wednesday, April 23
484 Union Avenue
Inspired by Junior Kimbrough and R.L. Burnside, they pride themselves on their unfiltered approach, leaving the grit in for good measure. “The blues don’t have to sound perfect,” drummer Washington Duke says. “It’s actually better if it doesn’t. The whole look-at-me-being-a-rock-star thing never worked for us.”
Songs like "Last Breath" showcase Kia Warren’s soulful vocals, while Eric Simon’s bad-ass slide guitar flows around the stomping percussion of Washington “Wash” Duke. Their gritty, high-power performances come with a warning: this is unmanufactured music that shakes you up and spits you back out – heavy with contagious energy.
“We bring it back closer to where the blues and rock really started out, but there’s a vibe you can’t put a name to,” says singer Kia Warren. “We feed off those roots, and each other, and the crowd, and having fun. So when people come to our shows, they feel that and we feel them. It’s just something that you have to see. It’s something that you have to feel.”
Tuesday, April 22, 2014
Nico Vega released a video for their track, "I Believe (Get Over Yourself)" this week. The song is the lead track from their upcoming album Lead To Light. Check it out below.
Monday, April 21, 2014
UK band Little Brother Eli have released a sneak preview of new material they've been working on. They've successfully teased me into wanting more. Hopefully, that will be soon. Check out this acapella mix of "Who Do You".
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Fanfarlo released a video for their song “Cell Song”. The track is from their latest album, Let’s Go Extinct which was released in February 2014. The video was directed and animated by Ewan Jones-Morris. Check out the clip below.
Fanfarlo will play two shows in the NY area. On Tuesday, April 22, they will be on the LES at Bowery Ballroom. The following night, Wednesday, April 23, they will be over in Brooklyn at Rough Trade. See below for more details and dates.
Lilies On Mars
Tuesday, April 22
6 Delancey St
New York, NY
Doors: 8PM / Show: 9PM
Lilies On Mars
Wednesday, April 23
64 N 9th St
Doors: 8PM / Show: 9PM
- 4/1- Salt Lake City, UT - Urban Lounge
- 4/2 - Denver, CO - Larimer Lounge
- 4/5 - St. Louis, MO - Duck Room at Blueberry
- 4/7 - Minneapolis, MN - Triple Rock Social Club
- 4/8 - Madison, WI - High Noon Saloon
- 4/10 - Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall
- 4/11 - Columbus, OH - Skully's Music Diner
- 4/12 - Millvale, PA - Mr. Small's Theatre
- 4/14 - Detroit, MI - Shelter
- 4/16 - Toronto, ON - Lee's Palace
- 4/17 - Montreal, QB - La Sala Rossa
- 4/19 - Cambridge, MA - The Sinclair
- 4/22 - New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
- 4/23 - Brooklyn, NY - Rough Trade
- 4/25 - Philadelphia, PA - Underground Arts
- 4/26 - Washington, DC - U Street Music Hall